Points of Pride
Points of Pride
- Most improved K-8 school in Philadelphia for the 2015-2016 academic year
- 1 of 8 schools chosen to participate in the school district’s first cohort Redesign Initiative. Through this, Arthur has created a formal partnership with Science Leadership Academy and incorporated their best practices to provide Arthur students in grades K-8 a similar inquiry-driven, project-based learning model.
- Updated technology in every classroom, including iPads for grades K-2, laptop carts in grades 3-4, and 1:1 Chromebooks for all students in grades 5-8.
- Foreign language instruction for grades K-4.
- An enrichment program that provides extended opportunities to students that need to be challenged beyond the classroom.
- Children’s Literacy Initiative (CLI), an early literacy program which brings resources and special training to our K-3 instructors to ensure that our early childhood literacy program best serves all of our students.
- Partnerships with several arts organizations including Walnut Street Theatre, Pennsylvania Ballet, Ballet X, Dancing Classrooms (ballroom dance), Astral Artists, Bilingual Butterflies, Musicopia and many, many more.
- After school activities such as drama, Civil Engineering, Lego Robotics, Playworks, and dance instruction.
- A partnership with Marshall Dennehey law firm, which provides financial support and access to professional mentors.
- Music, Physical Education, Art, and Engineering instruction.
- A private makerspace, the Wildcat Workshop, available for hands-on projects.
- A brand new schoolyard that serves as a place where teachers can implement inquiry-driven, hands-on learning, where students can learn about green infrastructure and practices, and an active community space where students and community members can gather and engage in structured and unstructured play.
- Support provided by the community including Friends of Chester Arthur (FoCA), Home and School Association (HSA), Shiloh Baptist Church and South of South Neighborhood Association (SOSNA), among many more.