Message from the Principal
On behalf of our staff, I would like to welcome you to our website. Arthur School offers children in kindergarten to grade eight an enriching academic and social experience. Our dedicated staff and supportive Home and School Association work together to allow each child the opportunity to develop his/her potential to its fullest.
Educational success is greatly dependent upon the bond that is forged between school and home. As educators and parents, our challenge is to help all students view school as an unlimited opportunity for achievement. Together, we can inspire our children to reach for and to attain success.
Arthur’s doors are always open and I invite you to come anytime to visit, talk, and take a tour. Please accept my invitation. I look forward to meeting with you!
Points of Pride
- Most improved K-8 school in Philadelphia for the 2015-2016 academic year
- 1 of 8 schools chosen to participate in the school district’s Redesign Initiative. Through this, Arthur has created a formal partnership with Science Leadership Academy and incorporated their best practices to provide Arthur students in grades K-8 a similar inquiry-driven, project-based learning model.
- Updated technology in every classroom, including iPads for grades K-2, laptop carts in grades 3-4, and 1:1 Chromebooks for all students in grades 5-8.
- Foreign language instruction for grades K-4 and Language Lab for grades 5-8.
- An enrichment program that provides extended opportunities to students that need to be challenged beyond the classroom.
- Children’s Literacy Initiative (CLI), an early literacy program which brings resources and special training to our K-3 instructors to ensure that our early childhood literacy program best serves all of our students.
- Partnerships with several arts organizations including Walnut Street Theatre, Pennsylvania Ballet, Ballet X, Dancing Classrooms (ballroom dance), Astral Artists, Bilingual Butterflies, Musicopia and many, many more.
- After school activities such as drama, Civil Engineering, Girls on the Run, Playworks, and dance instruction.
- A partnership with Marshall Dennehey law firm, which provides financial support and access to professional mentors.
- Spanish, Music, Physical Education, Art and STEM instruction.
- A private makerspace, the WIldcat Workshop, available for hands-on projects.
- A brand new schoolyard that serves as a place where teachers can implement inquiry-driven, hands-on learning, where students can learn about green infrastructure and practices, and an active community space where students and community members can gather and engage in structured and unstructured play.
- Support provided by the community including Friends of Chester Arthur (FoCA), Home and School Association (HSA), Shiloh Baptist Church and South of South Neighborhood Association (SOSNA), among many more.
Our school is a welcoming community of learners that engages academically talented students.